As someone that has put up with the holidays while dealing with treatment, I can tell you that a little, well thought gift can be gold. It doesn’t have to be complicated, but there’s a few things that stand out.
Here are a few ideas:
1) Soft cuddly blankets. Easy to find and when going through treatment, we often are cold.
2) For those going through chemo, a soft hat to keep heads warm and look nice, without itching. For those struggling with hair loss, something nice is gold.
3) Also hard candy is nice when taste is screwed up by treatment. Old fashioned lemon drops are wonderful and easy to find.
4) ANYTHING offering hope. From signs with quotes, to books on the subject; we’re grasping for all the hope we can grab hold of.
5) Gift cards are always a winner, but package them up in clever ways. My music rules, so iTunes gift cards were always great things.
These are just a few little things, but the main thing is not to avoid the friend with cancer because they’ve never needed you like they are right now. I can tell you first hand that it’s an awful feeling to see all of your friends bail because you’ve got cancer and they can’t deal with it. Be there; take them shopping, to lunch or anything that can get their minds off of treatment.
It doesn’t take a lot to be a friend, time and simply being there is the best gifts offered. 🙂
Have a wonderful week and see you soon!